Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Racking Time

I racked it off it's lees yesterday afternoon. I have way too much headspace to leave it for long (too much oxygen exposure).



I need to bottle it. I think I'm going to add some fresh pressed apple juice. That way the yeast will have something to eat and produce carbonation. I know I need to be careful not to make bottle bombs so I'm going to use a plastic bottle or a swing cap bottle and check it often. Once it reaches the carbonation I want, I'll bottle pasteurize it using this method.

I found a great website yesterday for measurements and advice for one gallon batches. I've found that most recipes and advice is for five gallon batches.

I tasted each brew again, too. I can't tell the difference between the two. Both are very dry and a little harsh. I've read that they'll mellow with age and the apple flavors will come forward somewhat. I plan on keeping a little "pure" (not add any juice to it) to see how I like it in a few months.

I did try an unfiltered cider that just had some honey added. It's called Honey Crisp by Crispin. It was very good. Maybe I should do a little with honey, too.

Well, that's all for now. I will update when I/we have done some real taste testing.

No comments:

Post a Comment