Thursday, December 13, 2012

Cleaning bottles

I bought the bottle brush in the home brew section. It was $5.99. It's a big beefy thing that is really for cleaning carboys. The day I needed to clean my flip top bottles I found that it didn't fit down the neck. Grrr. So, I took it out to the garage and smashed it with a mallet. Ha! Well, it did modify the width somewhat but I really had to fight to get it down the mouth of the bottles I needed to clean. But, fight I did, because that's who I am. Stubborn. And, really, it was only like 8 bottles or so.

Anyway, while at the homebrew store again, this time to get two more 16 ounce flip top bottles. (I absolutely love these things! I must stock up next garage sale season.) I went to the housecleaning isle to find a better bottle brush. Hubby had brought one home for me already but the handle was too thick to allow it to fit all the way down. Grrr. (No, I didn't smash this one, too.) Well, they didn't have skinny handled ones either. What I did find was a dryer vent brush. It was nice and long and skinny! I decided I would just bend the end up so it would work like a bottle brush. Incidentally it was the same cost as the carboy cleaner. Here it is with my modifications.

 Here it is next to the white carboy brush.
And a closeup to show how I bent up the end. It was super easy. I just used needle nosed pliers.

No comments:

Post a Comment